Monday, April 21, 2014

Day 110 - Letters From Iwo Jima (American/Japanese)

"
In 2005, Japanese. archaeologists explore tunnels on Iwo Jima, where they find some letters buried in the soil.
The film flashes back to Iwo Jima in 1944. Private First Class Saigo, a conscripted baker with a wife and young daughter, is beaten by his commanding officer Captain Tanida, after complaining that they should just give the island to the Americans. Tanida is stopped by General Tadamichi Kuribayashi, who has arrived to take command of the garrison. Kuribayashi tells Tanida not to waste his men.
"
I was conflicted about watching this film since I am American but I am an American that is in love with the Japanese culture. Which tends to clash because of the nations violent past in World War II. Ultimately I watched the film and loved it. The characters were real and had depth that is rare in a war picture. Hats off to Clint Eastwood for being fearless enough to make this film. Ken Watanabe is an actor I know since he appeared in Memoirs of a Geisha, Inception, Batman Begins, and The Last Samurai. He is such a wonderful actor, he grabs my attention and makes me believe in his characters. Overall the script was very good, the actors did well delivering the lines.

The set was amazing, it really felt like they were underground in Iwo JIma. The costumes, the drama, the music, the desperation, all appear in this film in a truly wonderful way.

My personal philosophy is that we should not forget history but use it in order to makes ourselves and the younger better. I find that my philosophy is almost the same as all the actors that appear in this film.

Open your mind no matter what nation you claim and whatever ethnicity you are. Watch this movie with an open heart and you will not regret it.


4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment