Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Day 56 - Millennium Actress (Japan)

"A movie studio is being torn down. TV interviewer Genya Tachibana has tracked down its most famous star, Chiyoko Fujiwara, who has been a recluse since she left acting some 30 years ago. Tachibana delivers a key to her, and it causes her to reflect on her career; as she's telling the story, Tachibana and Kyoji Ida, his long-suffering cameraman are drawn in. The key was given to her as a teenager by a painter and revolutionary that she helped to escape the police. She becomes an actress because it will make it possible to track him down, and she spends the next several decades acting out that search in various genres and eras"

A truly beautiful animation film from the late Satoshi Kon, it grabbed me by the heart towards the end of the film. It saddens me that I didn't watch this when I was younger and when Satoshi Kon was still alive. It is truly a great film if you like Japanese animation and are not looking for a simple action movie. This film is unique but it has Satoshi Kon's signature move of blending reality with fantasy. He does it in a way that you are not bothered by it. This film is truly interesting and its a story only he could direct without making it corny. I hope to buy this film eventually when I get enough money, I want to have it in my personal collection.
Go out there and see this movie (and please not online!)


3/5

RIP SATOSHI KON

No comments:

Post a Comment